Sunday, November 22, 2015

A day in the life of a missionary...

Me and Sister Rowberry

We had temple day this week, which was really nice. I really missed that in Donghae. We hung out with Sister Phillips and Sister Murdock who are my two favorite people in the world :) They are SO funny. Sister Murdock chipped her tooth and she says all the old korean ladies like her now cause they're similar. She's in a branch with like ten people in it. I can't even imagine that! I really like my large, supportive Sanggye ward. It's the best. This is the first area I've been in where elders don't help pass the sacrament. 

Also got to meet Eunmi Bak, Kim. She is so beautiful and kind! A super member missionary.

Korea has a lot of less active members; it's a cultural thing. Many Koreans prefer going to Buddhist temple twice a year. Or if that's too hard they just believe in their hearts.  But here in Sanggye the members are so strong! They come out every week and they fellowship our investigators like crazy. 

Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever get someone to baptism, and then I tell myself I need more faith and that that doesn't matter anyways. But it's kind of heartbreaking to talk to people all day and finally find that one golden person and then it turns out they weren't golden after all. People told me a Korean mission would be hard but I never thought it would be hard in that way. I thought it wouldn't really matter if I baptized someone or not. But now I've been out almost eight months and it's starting to matter a little bit. 
The language is going decently. I can understand people okay and can get my points across. One elder explained the story of the Good Samaritan in detailed Korean last Sunday. I doubt I'll ever get to that point but that's okay. I've gotten good at texting. People think of Korea as a third world country for some reason - when the Korean sisters go to the MTC I think they get free clothes? But it's the most technological country in the world. It outdoes America in almost every category technology/production related. So everyone texts. Texting language is like a whole different language!  We are calling and texting people from about 7 in the morning to 10:29 at night! We are super crazy busy. Not sure what we're doing. But we're busy. 

Honestly planning has become one of my favorite things. Just seeing everything lined up and in order makes me so happy. 

We are LOVING Christmas choir. So fun. I'm singing a duet with the sweetest little elder....he sings higher than I do! And the pianist is hilarious. He learned English from watching Harry Potter. And we get to see President and Sister Sonksen a lot. We don't get to see the mission very often but choir is a fun opportunity to look outside our own little unit.

We have this one crazy miracle investigator who has come to church twice. I'm not kidding, she looks like a supermodel. Dresses so fashionably too. I think she might get baptized. Our bishop's wife is fellowshipping her. Fellowshippers are SO important! Teaching in Korean is so interesting. If you ask a Korean a question like "have you ever thought about God" they say no. or if you ask, what do you think about "_______" they say "never have". Thinking is not really encouraged here. The teaching style that really works is the dictatorial one, because that is the style Koreans have been taught in. So interesting. They don't ask questions, most of the time -- just listen and nod. The bishop's wife was really good at being polite while still being forceful. So funny.

Think of you every day -- I'm a really different person, not sure how but I am -- sometimes I think about how I'll be in 9 more months and then when I go home, if it will feel like meeting everyone for the first time. It's a weird feeling.

Hey dad! Thanks for the great email. So proud of Joe, every week!
Here are the answers to your questions:
We get up at 6:30am
Every morning we clean and eat breakfast, and call and text people and review our daily plans, and exercise. We also do studies - one hour of personal companion and language study each
We pray ALL THE TIME!!!!! Not even counting personal prayers. I've started going into another room so I can pray out loud. It's changed my prayers a LOT.
We are usually going to and from appointments and members' houses, or missionary meetings. 
Just us two in the house! I always wanted to be in a 4 man house but there are not enough sisters anymore, so all the houses are 2 man houses :( it sounds so fun!
We sleep on the floor. I've slept in a bed once in Korea and it was really uncomfortable. I love sitting on the floor. And sleeping on the floor. They have heated floors here and it's great!
PDay's are usually crazy busy. We just shop and clean. There is not a ton of sightseeing in Korea. But I love the mountains and leaves and nature.
Sister Rowberry cooks for us. She does a weird fusion kind of thing. I need to help her out more! But her food is so good I don't want to ruin it....we eat rice, kimchi, seaweed and tuna every single day.
I love the food honestly. And Sanggye ward. It's amazing. And the grandmas that wander the streets at all hours. They're amazing and when I'm sad I just talk to them because they tell me I'm pretty, my Korean's good, I'm doing good work, and I need to get married. It's the best.

Love you all!
Lauren

At the beautiful Seoul Temple

Lunchtime

Heart Attack!

With some really sweet less-actives



No comments:

Post a Comment