Sunday, November 8, 2015

God makes me laugh every day...



You know, it's funny how God works. He really does have a sense of humor. I learned that this week in a lot of different ways. More than a sense of humor, he has a sense of greater purpose. In the words of Sister Ami, "He makes me laugh every day."

Some excerpts: we got a referral for a woman who lives about 2 hours away who was going to move to our area. She actually came to church and it was really cool! We visited her and gave her a baptismal date....then found out she actually isn't moving to our area. Take it away, Nokbeon sisters! All in all we traveled about 5 hours! 

We made best friends with our local 호떡 (hotteok) guy. 호떡 is this cinnamon and nut-filled pancake thing. So good! Whenever we pass his stand he is so stoked to see us. He said his sales have gone way up since we started coming because we're blonde American girls. I'm never dyeing my hair.

Speaking of hair, it got cut again. Sunday at church our bishop's wife came up to me and asked if we could spend PDay together because she had a surprise for us. She's actually the coolest person ever. We went to a meat buffet...and then she told me she had made me an appointment at the hair salon. So now I've had 3 haircuts in about 2 weeks. And winter is here. My neck is so cold.

Sister Rowberry is super funny. She's really good at cooking. Her method is to take random things out of the fridge, taste them, make a face, shrug, and throw it in the skillet. It's always a masterpiece. 

We had some interesting mixups this week. We were trying to call elders from another district. This was the conversation. 
"Hi, is this Elder Moore?"
"No...this is Elder Potts..."
"Who are you?"
"Wait, you called me."
"Sorry, we're trying to call the Jangwi elders..."
"Wait, where's Jangwi? What mission are you from?"
"Um, Seoul...why, what mission are you from?"
Pause. "Busan. Have a nice day."
Then we panicked, hung up and called President, who just laughed and laughed. Glad we could make his day. 

We're having good luck finding new investigators as well. We met with a new one last week who really opened up about her life. In fact, she started crying so uncontrollably that me and Sister Rowberry were actually worried. It was cool to see how much she trusted us after meeting us just twice. 

Sanggye is a miraculous place and it has changed my mission in so many different ways. More than wanting to talk to everyone, I want to have a conversation with everyone. This feels like a comfortable place to get uncomfortable and work on becoming a better missionary. One thing Sister Ami taught me is to teach everyone everywhere at all times. It's been really fun getting street lessons. The key is good questions!

I love my companion, love our district, love our zone -- everyone is so hardworking~! It's SUPER inspiring.

I know more than ever that this gospel changes and blesses lives. I've seen God in wonderful action. When we do our best and look around for miracles, I promise they're there.




No comments:

Post a Comment