Sunday, March 8, 2015

The MTC is like climbing a mountain...

How many people have compared a mission to climbing a mountain? Here's one more!
The MTC is like climbing a mountain. You climb and climb and work so hard. You reach the top, and what do you see? More mountains! And from where you stand, all of them look taller than the one you just climbed. Suddenly your legs are burning twice as hard, and your mind is cloudy from the exertion and thin air. But right beside me is my companion, reminding me to look where we were yesterday or last week. We only see the other mountains because we've climbed this one, or beat this challenge, or made this goal! That perspective gives us the motivation and energy to conquer the next challenge ahead.

This has probably been the best week yet! So many memories were made. We learned some VERY important lessons that were practically shouted at us in a still small voice. Mostly, it was just fun!

For example, we broke our teacher. Calm, serene Sister Simonsen was brought down at last. We joke how she is Pocahontas, and that's pretty accurate. But we were teaching her about temples in a lesson. Bear in mind that Korean uses a lot of the same syllables. It's an easy mistake to make. I accidentally told her she would marry her younger brother in the temple. And of course then my companion sang the wedding march because we couldn't remember the word for marriage. Apparently the wedding march is not a thing in Korea. We were DYING of laughter -- poor Sister Simonsen held it together as long as she could and then she broke. Miraculously we still felt the Spirit and got our points across but we couldn't breathe from paroxysms of laughter once we got out of there. It took at least ten minutes for us to calm down again. 

Everyone in our district but Sister Cameron has gotten sick. I know who I want on my team for the zombie apocalypse. 

We're part of this pilot program for Come Follow Me in the MTC's! It's amazing. Our Sunday training was really special. We are learning to teach as the Savior taught, through questions and understanding. We feel His love so strongly when we follow Him this way.
My calling as branch music director is also going well. Last Sunday I had a couple elders sing Come Thou Fount. One of them was so nervous he was shaking; the other was so confident he bore his testimony about it for fifteen minutes. Both of them are headed out next week. Another elder, Elder Schilling, joined fifteen minutes before. It was so special to see them bear their testimonies through song. They're all going to serve amazing missions! And they wrote me the sweetest note that reminded me that amidst all the struggle of the calling it really does touch peoples' lives.

Of course missions always have their unique individuals. One in particular has stood out. This person is so sweet and tries so hard, but usually in the wrong way. For example, we had cod for dinner one night. My companion got it and was eating it when this person came up to her and said, "do you wanna know something really gross?" All great and inspiring stories start off this way. "My dad used to work at a cod deworming factory! He said he pulled out so many worms that he never wants to eat cod again. But don't worry if they missed some in yours, they cook it so the worms just turn into protein."  
Our most difficult investigator also made huge steps. Brother Driggs is an amazing but demanding teacher and his "investigator personality" is SO difficult. But this week my companion and I had the same impressions during our lesson; thought of the exact same scriptures, both felt we should teach about the Atonement. If only every lesson was like that! We felt SO good walking out of there! 

One special thing that contributed towards our lesson that day was what happened that morning. We were cleaning halls. We saw President Lindahl walking towards us. I had gotten to talk to him before because I know his younger brother, so I said hi. Then my much beloved companion, Sister Phillips, said "we loved your devotional!" He had given one of our favorite devos earlier about the Doctrine of Christ and how to teach it. He started quizzing her right then and there about it! She was so mad at me because he made her recite all the steps, and I just kept saying things like "you can do it" "I know you know this" mostly because I didn't remember any of it myself. Things led to another thing and soon we were back in his office receiving the most valuable instruction we had ever received since coming here. We learned about the Light of Christ and the Spirit; we learned how to ask inspired questions; we learned how to lead through the Spirit; we learned how to teach through personal stories; we learned how to teach the Doctrine of Christ. Almost everything we would ever need to know to teach an investigator, we learned in an hour in his office. Most excitingly, we made an appointment with him to come back to his office and discuss those things more in two days! 

This was a direct answer to prayers. I had prayed to know more about the Light of Christ. I thought the answer might come at Tuesday Devotional with David F. Evans, but I only received the barest hint of anything relating to an answer. I thought maybe that was all I would get. But President Lindahl taught us extensively about the Light of Christ and its importance, and how to share it with others. It was AMAZING. 
Also, President Burgess, the MTC President, knows my name. He says hi to me every time he sees me without looking at my nametag. He calls my companion "Sister Bell's companion". She actually prefers that, saying that it’s best if the authorities don’t know your name. It’s really awesome but also absolutely terrifying!  
On Wednesday morning, at the last minute Sister Bertasso (by far the most formidable of the presidents' wives) came to my class and asked me to sing for the Wednesday new missionary devotional. I was so excited because a couple of my friends were going to be there as new missionaries! It was an amazing experience as always, tempered by her words "President Burgess is really excited to hear you again". No pressure. 
Anyways, this has been the most amazing week, full of CRAZY twists and turns—and the exhilaration of summiting yet another peak! I can't wait to see what challenges and blessings the next week brings. Thank you all for your letters and prayers; I treasure and hear one and I know God hears and treasures the other!
Love,
Sister Bell
 Sister Bell, Jones and Cameron
 Treats!
 Classroom
 We took a Disney Princess personality test and my mom sent matching socks...
 I got Elsa, Cinderella and Rapunzel (mostly Rapunzel)
 Korean sisters at the Temple
New sisters arrived!

 Sister Phillips and Bell
 It snowed this week!
It Snowed!!! such joy...

No comments:

Post a Comment