Thursday, March 26, 2015

PDay=Packing Day!

안양하새요 everyone!

The countdown is on! 3 days till Korea. Isn't that an amazing sentence? I think I've been in the MTC for years. Time has become Rip Van Winkle-esque. But instead of falling asleep, I feel more awake than I've ever been. Despite being absolutely exhausted, I'm filled with energy. 

We came full circle this week. My companion and I hosted newly-arriving missionaries again. It was so cool to guide people through the place that has changed me so much, knowing that it will change them as well. The first girl apparently wears bricks as clothing -- pack light, y'alls! 

By far the best part of the week was doing How To Begin Teaching. The first night of a missionary's MTC experience, they hold this seminar. All the new missionaries get to experience teaching an investigator for the very first time. There were about 7 pairs of missionaries that were chosen to demonstrate for all the new missionaries how to get through the door and teach the first part of a lesson. I still remember ours! We thought they were returned missionaries because they seemed so confident -- then we were called on to do it! Our first night, one girl in the audience tried to teach the investigator about how he could raise his dead child in the Millenium. We were all so scattered and nervous and confused. Getting the opportunity to demonstrate showed us how far we had come, and all the progress we had made. The investigators were hilarious. We're not sure but we think the first girl was a member; the second definitely wasn't. We listened as the new missionaries questioned the investigators after we had left. One elder asked if she had loved her dead grandfather. She responded "What kind of question is that??" in the most offended voice ever. It was hilarious. She ripped him apart. The second girl explained how the Godhead had been explained to her like "God is the bread, Jesus is the peanut butter and the Holy Ghost is the jelly". She also almost swore during the meeting. It was pretty funny, seeing all those young missionaries look so scandalized. Just kidding. I can't remember the last time I heard a swearword. We built off each other so well and managed a natural segue into the Plan of Salvation. I can't wait to be able to do that in Korean. We felt so confident. Progress is so gradual here that it's difficult to measure the growth of 9 weeks. We sat in a stairwell listening, wincing occasionally or going 'mm that was good' or just laughing out loud. What a perfect way to say goodbye to the MTC!

Another funny moment -- after the Tuesday devotional Sister Gilbert, our second counselor's wife, came to discuss with us. She gave us all these tips for eating Korean food -- "Okay, you have to figure out how to block off your sense of smell" "don't drink water after eating something spicy" "leave the rice till last but eat it all". She had really great solutions. One sister tentatively went "So I don't really like meat..." Sister Gilbert was quiet a minute, then looked her right in the eye with a lot of pity and went "Pray, sweetheart."

We also managed to break our toughest teacher at last. During one of our investigator lessons he sneezed really hard. My companion started to say "excu-" then remembered it's rude to acknowledge sneezes in Korea and went silent. He started laughing. It was awesome.

I am REALLY going to miss my companion. Sister Phillips has been amazing. She's gone through all the extreme highs and lows with me and hasn't faltered one step of the way. She's a huge nerd, bless her heart, so we have A LOT to talk about! She says she didn't realize how nerdy I was until like the second week and she was worried we'd have nothing in common. She has the best sense of humor that she uses to diffuse really tense situations, or make someone feel really fantastic about themselves. She is talented at seeing the best in people, and like an art restorer she brings what may have been faded or lost over time come to light. She's my favorite person ever, and I'm so glad that I got to be her companion. She's going to change Korea (even if all she does is introduce sarcasm into their culture because that apparently doesn't exist). She has an incredibly strong testimony that has really changed the way I see some things.

We've been playing this really fun game where we pass a notebook back and forth and each write a sentence in a story. It's not distracting and is really entertaining. (It may or may not have gotten us through a couple district meetings.) Speaking of which I will really miss my district. We've gotten really close (we haven't had a choice!) and I know all of them will serve amazing missions. Half of us are going to Seoul and the other half to Seoul South, so we'll get to say goodbye at the airport. 

One interesting way I've been able to judge how I've grown is that I was called as travel leader for our group. First off, I doubt that would have happened 9 weeks ago. I was really disorganized and unprepared for everything, but now I'm much more aware of what is going on and what needs to happen. Second, it would have stressed me out so much! But I feel pretty ready for it. We've been waiting nine weeks for this and I doubt anyone will miss their planes. 

Goodbye America! It's been nice knowing you. But I am so ready and eager for Korea! (We'll see how excited I am in a week.) I can't wait for all the experiences I will have and, even more, to watch peoples' lives be changed by the gospel. The gospel makes me the happiest in life. It has given me an amazing family and it provides a way for us all to return home to our Heavenly Father.  I want so badly for others to feel this joy that it brings. I know that it can make them so happy if they choose to accept it!

Love,

밸 Sister Bell
Hoisting the colors

With Sister Peseta from Samoa




With Sister Hatch and Sister Phillips

With Sister Jones

With Sister Cameron


No comments:

Post a Comment